What I Learned from My First Year in Homeschooling
I can not believe I made it through a whole year of homeschooling my five kids!
When I started homeschooling I planned it to be just like school. I set up a room in the house with desks and a lot of classroom decorations. I had a schedule much like school with recess and lunch breaks. There were some differences in my school compared to public school. I decided to do year round schooling. And we had self taught curriculum.
Nothing is perfect and there were some things that did not work out. Here is a list of things I will change and things that worked.
I WOULD NOT CHANGE
– Our year round schedule (I LOVE IT). I love the freedom of having breaks all year long.
– Having a room with desks. My kids get distracted and its a great place for them to go and mentally concentrate on their work.
– The kids enjoyed our incentive program. They earn stickers for there behavior and finishing their work. When they fill up a chart with stickers they get treasure box.
– Our curriculum. We use Ace Ministries Paces. They have been a life saver for me this year.
I WILL CHANGE
– My policy on field trips. Before they had to earn them. We only had a certain amount per year. I want it to be more flexible next year.
– I plan on cutting back on my classroom decorations. I went all out before. The kids expressed that it was not worth the money.
– I will be a little more relaxed. As long as they are getting their work done.
– I need to spend a little more time schooling with my youngest. He will only be three but its never too early.
I have to say that I am relieved that I have a whole year of schooling done. It was a great experience. I thought my kids would drive me crazy. I thought I wouldn’t be able to teach them what they needed to know.
I can gladly say that it was a very successful year. My kids are mentally healthier. We are closer as a family. It was not always easy for me. Organization was key.
All in all it was a great year. I am so excited for year two!