Do you ever hear “mom I am bored” in the summertime? I think it’s a phrase that every mom cringes to hear. But there are ways to keep those kids busy and still have fun yourself plus keep your sanity.
Here are 5 ideas for the family that you can easily do in the summer to keep your kids busy and to keep your sanity:
Do not forget to enter the Summertime Homemaking Giveaway at the end of this post!
1. Library Reading Programs – Check with your local library to see what their summer reading program is. Most libraries have one. It is usually something different every year but they all encourage your children to read. Even my teenagers enjoy doing the adult reading programs that are offered. Once a week we go to the library pick out books and usually return them the next week for some kind of small prize or sticker. My kids have always enjoyed this.
2. Pool Day – Don’t have a pool close by? I have no friends who have a pool and I do not own one myself. So this year I bought this snapset pool. It can hold a ton of water and is so easy to fill and empty. My kids love it and it is actually pretty big. I even enjoy sitting in it. I love that I do not have to inflate it. I try to do a pool day once a week. I get an icy treat for the kids playing outside and have been known to set up an umbrella and beach chair by the pool and stick my feet in. Making this mom happy and refreshed. You can find a snapset pool here on Amazon (aff) Intex Ocean Reef Snapset Inflatable Pool, 8′ X 18″, for Ages 3+
Can’t afford a pool? Just get the hose out! You can make your own sprinklers from 2 liter bottles. Check it out here.
3. Indoor Beach or Camp Day – This is a really fun day for us. We either set up the living room as a beach or a campsite. You can get very creative. Play some ocean waves sounds. Set up beach chairs, towels, shells, and play pretend beach. Grab your favorite book to read while the kids are playing. Use lotion as sunscreen. Get creative and have fun with it. Let the kids take a little trip to the pool (AKA the bathtub).
Even more fun then the beach is camping. My kids love to set up a tent in the living room. They bring their stuffed animals and put them in it and they have a blast for hours. You could even make smores in the microwave for them. The great thing about this is that its air conditioned. For a really fun day make it a camp out at the beach inside.
4. Movies – Some movie theaters offer very cheap movies in the summer during the day. Check out your local theaters to see if they have a kids summer movie program. If you can find one rent some movies and have a pajama day at home. You may not want to spend any money and just have a movie marathon with the movies you already have.
5. Crafts and Activities – there are a ton of cheap and fun crafts and activities for the summer. Check out my Pinterest board Summer Fun for lots of fun ideas.
Do you have any other fun ideas that you do in the summer? Don’t forget to enter the giveaway.
Summertime Homemaking Giveaway!
Spend some time this summer doing simple things to make your house a home. Bless your family and everyone who enters your doors with the beautiful and nourishing!
I’m joining with some great bloggers from the Domestically Challenged, Divinely Equipped Facebook group, as well as some fantastic sponsors, to bring you a fun giveaway! One winner will receive this fantastic bundle.
Blooming with Joy Tea & Gifts bundle ($55+ value):
- Choice of two iced tea packs
- Stainless steel tumbler
- $20 store gift card
Mom Essentials Kit from Rocky Mountain Oils ($180+ value)
- Eucalyptus citriodora 15ml
- Helichrysum gymnocephalum 5ml
- Immune Strength 15ml
- Lavender 15ml
- Lemon 15ml
- Peppermint 15ml
- Purify 15ml
- Tea Tree 15ml
- Myrtle 15ml
- Grapefruit 15ml
- 10 Hole Case
Life-Giving Home by Sally Clarkson
Must be 18 or older to enter and in the contiguous U.S. states. Giveaway ends July 17th at 11:59PM PST. Winner will be notified via email and will have 48 hours to reply before a new winner is chosen. Blooming with Joy and Rocky Mountain Oils are responsible for the delivery of their respective contributions to the giveaway. Entering the giveaway will add you to the Proverbial Homemaker email list if you aren’t already subscribed.